404 Page not found is a common error message that displays when a user requires a web page but does not exist anymore, when there is something wrong with the page or the computer. Simply speaking, we cannot avoid a 404 error while using the computer. But we can actually try out some ways through which we can resolve this problem so as to visit some desired pages correctly.
Sometimes, a temporary issue with the webpage can bring in the 404 Page not found error message. At this time, you can try to reload the web page by clicking the refresh/reload button or trying the URL from the address bar again. In many cases, trying to reload the page again will often be successful.
If a reload does not work, clear the browser’s cache. We know that a web browser cache is a directory or a folder having stored copies of the most recently visited websites to optimize the Internet performance. The more cache files on the computer, the slower the computer will be, and the more chances for you to encounter various errors including the 404 page not found message. So do remember to clear the unneeded cache files from your computer regularly.
Sometimes, an incompatible extension can also bring in the appearing of a 404 error to happen when browsing a page. Extensions are those that you had installed to improve your internet experience, for example, the add-on Google toolbar. However, some of them if are incompatible with your system, or functioning improperly will result in slow Internet connection or unexpected error messages. In this way, you have to find those malfunctioning add-ons, and then disable them. To do this, just follow the steps below:
* Open your Internet Explorer.
* Click Tools and then Manage Add-Ons.
* Select All Add-Ons option from Show drop down box.
* Find and disable the unwanted add-ons, and then click Close button.
* Restart IE and then the changes will take effects.
What is more, you can also reset the web browsers’ settings to deal with a 404 page not found error that caused by a incorrect setting. Open your Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options – Advanced tab, check “Automatically recover from page layout errors with compatibility view” or click “Reset advanced settings” button at the bottom of the tab. By resetting this, you can most of the time get rid of the 404 error messages.
Fourthly, completely detect and remove PC viruses. The viruses or malicious processes are able to attack and hijack any of your browsing activities except colleting & stealing users’ information. Once you are navigated to other unknown or unsafe website, you will come to the chance to get the 404 page not found error. Directly download & run a trusted antivirus antispyware program to thoroughly scan your whole PC and get rid of all PC threats immediately.
Finally, clean up Windows registry errors. Errors in Windows registry is also the major cause of the 404 page not found error when the browser cannot locate the corresponding entries to display the web you are browsing. Meanwhile, you should immediately download and run a registry cleaning tool to thoroughly scan & remove clean up all registry errors. A registry cleaner is readily available to free download on the internet and can show how many errors on your PC. Importantly, it can clean and repair system registry to stop them from appearing in the future.
Well, a 404 page not found error message can happen randomly on any page that you desire to visit due to various reasons. Though it is inevitable, you are able to take some maintenance steps in your daily PC life to stop it from happening too frequently.
- How to Get Rid of Windows Live Messenger Thoroughly and Instantly
- D3dx9_34.dll is missing - Repair d3dx9_34.dll error instantly
- File Splitter PRO Uninstalling Tips - Quick Way to Remove Unwanted File Splitter PRO
- How to Remove Windows Express Settings quickly
- Runtime error 1004 - Causes and solutions you should know
- IRP Hook Rootkit - How to Remove IRP Hook Rootkit from Your PC
- Available Method to Uninstall 3GP Player 2011 for Good
- Windows 7 Defender 2013 - How to Remove Windows 7 Defender 2013 easily
- Full Removal for LifeGlobe Goldfish Aquarium - How to Uninstall LifeGlobe Goldfish Aquarium for Good