A bad sector is a little cluster of data on your hard disk that cannot be read or accessed properly, which can be caused due to a physical damage to the hard disk, a virus infection or incomplete program uninstallation/installation, etc. Over time, they have been the main cause to real damages to the hard drive as well as shorten PC lifespan. However, there are some possible things that you can do in daily life to prevent HDD bad sectors and repair any of them effectively. Just read on and you will learn how to perform a bad sector repair.
Typically, there is a Windows built-in utility coming together as you install the system which allows you to detect and repair bad sector in your hard drive. If you have never run the check disk tool called “Chkdsk” to scan your hard disk, follow these steps to go:
* Double click My Computer icon on your desktop to open it;
* Find the disk you want to check, right-click it and go to Properties;
*Then, go to Tools option;
* Click Check now;
* A new dialog box will appear, check these two options and click Start;
->Automatically fix file system errors
->Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
* Normally, you will get a message that Check Disk wants exclusive access to the disk and wants to start right after your reboot.
* Restart your computer as prompted when the bad sector repair job finishes.
After learning how to run the inbuilt Windows Chkdsk utility to repair bad sector for your hard drive, you’d better learn how to prevent such errors from appearing. And the first thing you should do is to always well protect your PC with a trusted antivirus antispyware program. In some situations, you computer are getting infected with viruses and spyware, and they will severely attack the hard disk, leading to the appearance of some bad sectors.
Secondly, you should uninstall any unwanted or incompatible programs from the computer. Such unneeded ones will only take up system resources, hard disk space to make the computer generate various unknown errors all the time, for example, system bad sectors, “Video TDR Failure” BSOD error or constant “strmdll.dll is missing” message.
After uninstalling the programs, defragment the hard disk. This helps to easily re-arrange the files on the hard disk, making them quite easily and quickly to be reached. It is widely know that fragmentation comes onto a hard disk over time as you save/change/delete files or uninstall/install a program. But the changes that you save to a file are often stored at a different location on the hard disk rather than the original file. Over time, both the file and the hard disk itself become fragmented, greatly slowing down data-access speed and overall PC performance. To prevent bad sectors onto your computer, do remember to regularly run the Windows built-in disk defragmenter.
Finally, you’d better check and repair Windows registry. Registry is the place that stores all the required settings and options of the system to make it run correctly all the time. However, it can be full of invalid entries over time and then slows your PC to a snail’s pace; on the other hand, brings in the bad sectors and stop the system to read the required files smoothly and correctly. Remember that these invalid entries will be the results of a bad program install/uninstall job, a virus infection or other unwanted software that has made its way to your system without your knowledge. So, to prevent and repair bad sectors for your hard drive, run a registry cleaner tool to scan your whole PC and fix all registry errors. This helps to ensure a smooth running computer effectively.
With the above bad sector repair instructions, you can easily maintain stable PC running as well as extend the lifespan of the hard disk. It is highly recommended that you can start performing them in your daily PC life from now on!!!
- How to Remove Website-unavailable.com instantly
- Wsock32.dll is missing - Fix wsock32.dll error on your own
- XP Security Center - How to Remove XP Security Center instantly
- Effective Steps to Uninstall Lottery Cracker World from PC
- Code 22 error - Fix computer error code 22 easily
- Tips to Uninstall eBay Toolbar from Computer Correctly
- How to stop and fix Windows blue screen error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL?
- Crownhub.com Removal - How to Remove Crownhub from Your Computer