In computing, a checksum is computed as an error-detecting code that used to protect the BIOS settings stored in the CMOS memory. No matter whenever the computer boots, this number is recomputed and checked against the stored value. If they do not match, you will be promoted with an error message telling that something corrupt within the CMOS memory contents. A CMOS Checksum Error will stop you from starting up the computer properly as usual or running some desired programs as you like. Here, let’s learn together what you should do to fix such computer error permanently.
Sometimes, the CMOS Checksum Error is just a temporary issue and will instantly disappear after a system reboot. So, don’t worry too much when you get the error message for the first time. A simple restart may solve the error for you!
And the checksum error message can also happen when the battery loses its charge and thus fail to retain the CMOS settings. At this time, you will also come to the chance to lose any custom settings, such as the boot sequence and fail to use the computer correctly. If possible, you can directly replace your CMOS battery to solve this PC error. Typically, the CMOS battery is located inside on the system board (motherboard) and looks like a small “barrel”, or something similar to a watch battery. If the battery is a flat, round, watch-type battery, you can in many cases replace it by yourself. If not and you do not have enough knowledge on computer, it is best that you can take it to a repair store to have it replaced.
If the above two steps do not solve the CMOS Checksum Error, you can try to reset the CMOS settings to default value. To do this, you can simply follow steps here to go:
*Restart the computer and enter CMOS setup screen.
* Here, look for the option to reset the CMOS values to the default setting or an option to load the fail-safe defaults. If you find it, move press the function key, for example, the F5, F6, F9, F11, or F12 key to select the option and press Enter.
* Then, a mess will appear asking you if you’re sure you wish to load the defaults; press Y for yes or arrow to the yes option to provide confirmation.
* When the reset process finishes, make sure to save it and exit the CMOS setup screen.
With any one of the above steps, you will be able to boot up the computer correctly. However, to permanently get rid of CMOS Checksum Error in your computer life, you’d better take some PC maintenance tips regularly, for example, remove computer viruses, check & fix hard disk errors, uninstall the unneeded programs … and the most important one is to check & repair Windows registry errors.
First of all, you should know that the Windows registry stores almost all information about hardware, software configurations and system settings. This way, the computer can perform every request correctly as expected. No matter whenever you install, uninstall, update or reconfigure software all changes are logged in the registry. As time goes, redundant, obsolete or invalid entries can accumulate in the registry and corrupt it, making it one of the major causes of many computer errors. If the system cannot locate the correct entries to start up the computer, you will no doubt get a CMOS Checksum Error during startup or some other unexpected errors like frequent computer crashes. So the final thing you can do is to run a registry cleaner tool to completely scan and fix all errors inside your registry. Then, you can enjoy the computer pleasantly all the time.
To sum, a CMOS Checksum Error during computer startup is annoying; however it is not as hard as you think to fix it. Carefully follow the above steps and you will soon get your computer boot up without problems.
- Solutions on how to fix Netflix DRM Error N8156
- 0Xc004f074 Windows 7 error - Common causes and solutions
- Useful Instruction for Panda SafeCD Removal - Uninstalling Panda SafeCD Quickly and Completely
- How do you fix a 0X00000016 BSOD for Windows computer?
- SpywareBlaster Uninstall - Methods to Uninstall SpywareBlaster from PC Easly
- Vipsearchs.net - How to Remove Vipsearchs.net instantly
- How Can You Fix Windows C00D11B1 Error?
- How to Thoroughly Uninstall Any Flv Player - Any Flv Player Removal Guide
- How to Remove Adware.w32.virtumonde completely and easily