An error code 31 usually happens when the Windows tries to load a driver for a device but cannot finish the process successfully. We know that it is a need for the Windows to proactively load the drivers for the connected hardware devices at PC startup before it gets into the system. If fail, it is likely that a code 31 error will be reported to the Device Manager, telling you that the device is unavailable due to a malfunctioned driver. Typically, the error message looks like this:
“This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)”
Just as what you can learn from the error message, a code 31 error message usually happens due to any one of the following reasons:
* The device is not plugged in correctly or all the way.
* The device is damaged.
* The driver for the device is not properly installed.
* The required driver is missing.
* The required driver is out-of-date.
* The required driver is corrupt.
* A previous attempt to update the driver failed.
Tutorials to fix error code 31
Simply speaking, a code 31 error message is usually caused by a driver problem. Any missing, outdated, or corrupted driver can suddenly bring in the happening of an unexpected code 31 error message either at system startup or an attempt to load some required devices. So, the first thing you should do to deal with this problem is to make sure that all your hardware device drivers are updated to the latest versions. To do this, just follow these steps:
*Click Start, Control Panel, and then System
*Select Hardware, and then Device Manager.
* Then, you can browse the list of the categories and expend them one by one to see whether there is a yellow Exclamation mark by any driver. If so, right click the device, select Properties, and look in the General tab to view the manufacturer’s name and the model of the device.
* Finally, search and download the correct device driver based on the information collected from Device Manager on your PC; then install it directly and the code 31 error will be solved.
If you find it quite difficult to identify, download and install the outdated, corrupted drivers manually, you can download a driver update tool to automatically scan your whole PC and install all recommended drivers. By the way, it is best that you can also download and install all available Windows service packs as they help to greatly enhance PC performance & prevent some unknown errors.
Also, to stop error code 31 from happening frequently, you’d better make sure that there is no error or bad sectors existing in the hard disk. If the system cannot locate the required files, folders within the hard disk to load some required devices, a code 31 error message will also display. Then, it is strongly advised that you can run the Windows built-in Error-Checking utility, and Disk Cleanup, Disk Defragment to maintain your hard disk.
When talking about maintaining computer hard disk, you should not ignore one important aspect – removing computer viruses. Viruses can secretly get onto the computer and mainly attack the hard disk so as to destroy the PC, or collect & steal some of your personal information. What is more, they are able to attack and remove any system file from the PC, stopping the system from accessing them properly and finally bringing in an error code 31 message at system startup or a runtime error 339 in launching some programs. You should run a trusted antivirus antispyware program to completely scan the whole PC and remove all viruses immediately.
Last but not least, check and repair Windows registry errors. First of all, you should know that all program setting, drivers, software program & hardware configurations and so on are all stored in Windows registry database. This way, the system will know how and when to perform the computer properly without errors. However, as times goes or as you install/uninstall programs or when the computer gets infected, it is inevitable for some errors to generate. A simple registry error will stop you from running the PC, loading some required devices properly and displaying an error code 31 message from time to time. Seriously, when the system cannot locate the required entries to run the PC correctly, it will eventually end up with sudden freezing, unexpected blue screen errors or total PC crash. For the proper running of the PC, you should run a reliable registry clean tool regularly to completely scan the whole PC and repair all errors inside, or get rid of all useless, corrupted entries.
Though the common cause of error code 31 is driver-related, it sometimes can be caused by some simple errors on the computer. Keep on doing the above PC maintenance steps in your daily life, then you will always run a PC without errors.
- CouponBar Removal - How to Remove CouponBar once for all
- How to Remove Spyware.HTEmployeeMon Completely
- How Can I Remove XP Security Plus 2013 completely from My PC
- How to Quickly Uninstall Animated Water Screen - Recommended Guide
- What is epm.exe process and how to repair epm.exe error?
- Win 8 Defender 2013 - How to Remove Win 8 Defender 2013 instantly
- Ccsw32.dll not found - Repair ccsw32.dll error easily
- Repair corrupt rundll.exe error - Solve rundll.exe error the simplest way
- How to uninstall CyberDefender Internet Security Completely without Any Trace Left?