You may receive one of the following error messages while starting up the computer:
* “Non-system disk or disk error; Replace and strike any key when ready”
* “Remove disks or other media；Press any key to restart.”
When fail to start up the computer due to a “Non-system disk or disk error” message, check and remove the non-system disk from your boot device. That is, you should remove the non-system disk from the floppy drive or the CD-ROM drive.
If you have removed the non-system disk from your CD-ROM drive but still get the error message, make sure that the operating system is installed properly on your computer:
* Insert the Windows installation disk into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
* Click “Install Windows” to start the Windows Setup Wizard if it automatically detects the CD-ROM; If not, click Start => Run => type CD-ROM drive letter:\setup.exe, and then click OK.
* Press ENTER to proceed.
* Click New Installation, and then click Next.
* Follow every on-screen step to continue.
After reinstalling the Windows operating system on the PC, directly update the drivers when trying to get rid of the “Non-system disk or disk error” message. To update the driver, it is recommended that you can download and run a professional driver detector and update all needed drivers.
Fourthly, please note that Windows Updates replace the old and buggy program files with new ones that can fix a flaw to help programs interact well with other programs, applications, and devices etc. In this way, you can easily enhance computer performance and its performance to defense against old and new viruses, spyware, malware, keylogger, worms, Trojans, etc. So the fourth step you need to do to get rid of the “Non-system disk or disk error” message is to make sure that you have all available Windows service packs installed. By the way, it is highly advised that you can set the computer to “automatic update” to download and install all available Windows service packs.
Sometimes, the “Non-system disk or disk error” message might be caused by adware or virus infections as they are able to attack and remove any core system file from the computer without your permission. Once the Windows cannot find the needed files in the computer or when a file such as Iw3mp.exe is disguised by some PC threats, it will be very easy for you to get this PC startup error messages when starting up the computer or launching a specific program. So it’s sensible to use a virus removing program to detect and remove any adware infections from the computer. By the way, it is better that you can make your antivirus program working in the background to realtime protect and remove any threats to the computer.
Last but not least, scan and fix Windows registry errors. Registry acts as the most important component of the computer and controls the proper running of the computer and all programs installed on the PC. When there are some errors existing in this database, the system will fail to read the needed files correctly and then display the “Non-system disk or disk error” message. So, if the solutions above do not help to fix the error, do remember to pay several minutes to download and run a registry cleaning tool to see whether it helps or not. According to my own experience, this will sometimes be the most effective solutions to fix the startup error on the computer.
Typically, the “Non-system disk or disk error” message will happen when your start device (floppy disk drive, hard disk drive, or CD-ROM drive) does not contain boot files. It is either missing or corrupted. No matter what is the cause, here you will get solutions to fix it soon.
- C0002a fatal error - Steps to fix fatal error c0002a instantly
- Jvm.dll missing - Solve jvm.dll error quickly
- Hl2.exe has stopped working - Fix it now
- Instruction on Removing BigClique Toolbar from PC Completely
- Laptop overheating and shutdown - Fix an overheating laptop effectively
- Uninstall Tutorial for Flash Player Detector - How to Effectively Uninstall Flash Player Detector
- C:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM is missing or corrupt - How to do?
- How to Completely Uninstall BitDefender Antivirus 2009 in Seconds?
- Windows Vista error 8056 - Solutions to Windows Vista error 8056